Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Hallmark of My 27 Years

Today is my birthday.  In addition to maintaining a miraculous, near-100-percent survival rate for 27 consecutive years, I have a lot to celebrate.  For instance, this year I created a revolutionary home laundry sorting system that drastically reduces the time it takes to do laundry.  My wife not only tolerates me, but even repeatedly insists that she loves me despite my tenacious talent for placing the dish cloth in the wrong spot (there is no greater love than this).  I also continue to be grateful for the kindred camaraderie my brother and I share.  And of course, I'd like to thank my parents, you know, for making this day, and me, possible.  After all, mom and dad did most of the work.  I was just along for the ride, throwing in some crying for good effect.

At lunch today, I received my first birthday present:  A card.  Not a graphics card -- which does happen to be a great gift idea for hardware enthusiasts like myself -- but an actual paper card.

When I was little, I had to open all my cards before my presents.  It was an excruciating exercise in patience while waiting to unwrap the "good stuff."  Today, I count this card as one of the best presents I have received.

A lot of this has to do with the fact this is a card that can't be bought, only made, homemade.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a well-chosen, nicely annotated Hallmark card, but you have to admit. There's something special about a homemade card, no matter the caliber of the artwork.

The homemade card came courtesy of my lovely and loving wife.  Not since my "Fiance of the Year Award," have I felt so officially recognized.  For my 27th birthday, she chronicled a whopping 27 reasons to love me (cue audience-wide Awwwww)!  Now, I don't have a "Proof People Love Me" collection (though the more I think about it, it's probably a good idea.  I'm a sensitive soul.), but if I ever start one, this will be one of the premiere pieces.


Inside this artistic masterpiece are "27 Reasons to Love Mark Chase as He Turns 27."  Take note.


27 Reasons to Love Mark Chase as He Turns 27

1)  He composes amazing songs that touch the heart.

2)  His athletic prowess helps him survive close biking encounters.

3)  He can't help but teach other people with the very core of his being.

4)  Computers stand up straight and salute when he walks in a room.

5)  The USA Olympic Snuggling team called to give him a spot in Rio this year.  I told them he was beyond their league.

6)  He believes the best in people, and brings it out.

7)  He has a strong desire to do what's right and see that others are treated fairly and justly.

8)  He would give you the shirt off his back if you asked for it.  That's why he goes shirtless so often.

9)  His laundry organization systems are cheap and effective.

10)  He is a fighter and once he determines to do something, he does not quit.

11)  He is a lover and can give you a bucket of sunshine with his encouragement.

12)  He is patient.  And patient.  And patient.

13)  He is the best dance partner you could bring to a wedding, including your own.

14)  He is a loving, loyal son and will always be there for his parents.

15)  He is a good brother who plays Guild Wars 2 on the regular to combat Veteran Ice Wurms and loneliness.

16)  He builds the best fires, and they're even better when it's rainy or your fireplace gets zero draft.

17)  He cares deeply for the planet and advocates for the beauty of nature.

18)  He loves breakfast as much as I do.

19)  He will bring you your favorite treat when you're bummed to be at work.

20)  His eyes are more expansive and dreamy than the sea.

21)  He is a skillful musician and has a knack for looking "under the hood" of a song.

22)  As a recreation he could still qualify for Guinness speed eating competitions.

23)  Nobody comes close to being such a proficient plate stacker and well-mannered restaurant patron.

24)  He still buys you flowers even when he doesn't see the point.

25)  Even on a bad day, he can climb Mount Marathon faster than you.

26)  He proficiently produces preposterous prose, poignant poetry, plus proprietary poppycock.

27)  He's my favorite man in the whole world, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.


And with that, I would like to give the highest honor bestowable by the 27 years vested in me,  "The Best Birthday Card of the Year Award" to Aimie Chase for her astounding achievements in birthday card technology and unparalleled contributions to the distribution of love.  For this card alone, it was worth turning 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment